Is your organization in need of technology to help meet your mission?
Free Geek Montréal’s Hardware Refurbished Technology, Website creation, IT Consultant and Technical Support Grants program connects qualifying nonprofits, government, PME with free and low-cost.
Please read this criteria thoroughly to determine if our Hardware Grants program can appropriately serve your organization’s needs.
- Must be a nonprofit organization, or under fiscal sponsorship of a nonprofit or government-affiliated agency, or PME under 10 employees.
- Must dispose of the hardware in an environmentally responsible manner when it has reached the end of its lifecycle.
- Applicants requesting laptops must be located within the Montréal metro area.
- Must be able to pick up the hardware in person from Free Geek Montréal’s office in Montréal, Québec. Grants are provided unboxed. We do not ship technology to grantees. Please note that shipping your granted technology voids the tech support warranty.
- We ask that grant recipients cultivate a positive relationship with Free Geek, including posting about grants received on your newsletters and social media, to help raise awareness about our program.
- Eligible organizations may not submit multiple applications within a grants cycle.
- Eligible organizations must wait 90 days after the fulfillment of a grant to reapply.
Who is not eligible?
- Individuals are not eligible for grants. Please review our volunteer opportunities for earning a desktop computer.
- We rarely make grants to international organizations. This is due to difficulty in verifying the organization’s status and responsible recycling when the equipment becomes obsolete. Check out the World Computer Exchange for international alternatives.
What we grant
Free Geek makes in-kind grants of refurbished electronic equipment. The computer hardware that we grant is used and come to us via donations made by individuals and organizations in our community. It is then tested and built by our staff and volunteers.
We primarily grant complete PC computers which come installed with Linux Mint as an operating system. These systems are excellent for typical office tasks, such as word processing and browsing the web.
Approved grant recipients are eligible for a 20% discount in The Free Geek Store.
Grant recipients can request up to 1 printer per application period. Printer models will vary.
iMacs (Mac desktops)
CMS: Joomla - WordPress
Mobile Apps Development
IT Consultant Services
Desktop and Laptop Support
We provide any type of your desktop or Laptop support like, installation, problem solving, hardware problem, Antivirus and many more.
We Configure,maintenance,Update.backup and migration of any type of server, Windows server 2008-2016, Exchange Server, Linux Enterprise
We develop app for your company Android or IOS
We create the computer network LAN cabling, Wifi and Mobile for your office that share resource and printer.
We configure your Network Device like Switch, Router and firewall, That is VLAN, different type of routing protocol.
Cloud and Virtualisation
We also configure and maintenance your cloud and virtual computing
We provide you the consultant of the information security, cybersecurity, computer security, and IT security
- We can often provide grants of other hardware if available (such as A/V equipment, scanners, etc). Special requests are reviewed on a monthly basis. Please be specific in your application about the type and number of items you need.
- The quantity of technology available per grant cycle changes seasonally in relation to our supply.
- We are limited in our ability to grant non-functioning or untested equipment. Please feel free to apply and specify your exact needs. We will work with you to determine eligibility.
Granted computers come with a one-year warranty for technical support at our location in Montréal, Québec, provided there have been no major hardware or software changes to the systems.
- For Macs and for PCs with Windows installed, tech support covers hardware. It does not cover software.
- Shipping your granted technology voids the tech support warranty.
Applications for our standard granted items are reviewed on a rolling basis.
We can often provide grants of other hardware, if available, and special requests are reviewed monthly. Please apply by the last Wednesday of the month to be considered in the next month’s review cycle.
Apply Grants application
Need a full preview? You must apply online. Paper applications are not accepted.